The Al Hosn Palace is a prominent historical feature in Abu Dhabi. The palace has a distinctive administrative and political record. In the past it functioned as the office and home for the Abu Dhabi ruler, government departments and courts of justice.
It also had a majlis for leading figures in the community.
The palace is more than 200 years old. Sheikh Shakhbut Bin Dhiyab built it as a castle when the seat of government was moved from the Liwa Oasis to the Abu Dhabi Island in 1793.
The Al Hosn Palace is divided into two main sections. One is an old fort, showing evidence of the original building and changes from the days of Sheikh Saeed Bin Tahnoon Al Nahyan who ruled the Abu Dhabi Emirate from 1845 to 1855. In 1936, Sheikh Shakhboot added a new section. The late Sheikh Zayed held his court in the palace on his accession as ruler of the Emirates in 1966. He continued to use it until he moved to Al Manhal Palace in 1972.
Sheikh Zayed took particular care of the palace due to his interest in places of historical value. In 1980, the Palace was completely maintained and is now backing to its original shape and form. It is currently a leading and tourist monument in Abu Dhabi and the United Arab Emirates.